If only spills, spots, and stains were the only things we had to worry about in our carpets.
Truth is, when you hire a professional cleaning company to clean your carpets every 12 months (as you should), it is what you can’t see that should cause the most concern.
Many of us do not realize it, but dirty carpets are a hotbed for a variety of tiny creepy creatures. Not only are bugs an area of concern, there are also other nasty things living in your carpets that you just can’t see. Let’s examine the gross truth about what’s really creeping in your carpets.
Here are a few Random Facts about:
- Bed bugs can live in wooden floorboards and carpet fibers.
- Carpets are made from knotted wool can house beetle grubs or “woolly bears.” According to Random History.com, special chemicals in their stomachs convert wool into sugar so they will munch through carpet like cotton candy.
- Warm carpet like what you would find near a fireplace creates the perfect place for an odd little creature called a firebrat, similar to silverfish–which has a long, flexible body and is able to eat almost anything.
- Regardless of whether the carpet fibers are natural or man-made, the caterpillar will use the fibers to make a cocoon in a deep cavity in carpet.
- Dust mites thrive in warm, humid environments. They eat dead skin cells and nest in dust-collecting carpet.
- Because fleas thrive in the carpet’s dry temperature, carpets are highly effective places for mature fleas to live.
Here are a few Random Facts about: ALLERGENS
- Carcinogens in cigarettes may accumulate in household carpet and be dangerous to household pets, children, and infants who spend a lot of time on the floor.
- Allergies can be created from the residue that dust mites leave behind once it mixes with dust and become airborne.
- Properly cleaning and maintaining carpetscan greatly improve indoor air quality. However, most people do not and therefore exacerbate allergies.
Here are a few Random Facts about: BACTERIA
- Bacteria can live after 4 weeks on carpet.
- Several pounds of soil can accumulate in and under a carpet every year.
- A person sheds about 1.5 million skin flakes an hour, most of which becomes embedded in our carpets.
- Wall-to-wall carpeting is less healthy than smaller rugs. Wall-to-wall carpets tend to be harder-to-clean endpoints for moisture, chemicals, liquids, crumbs, and other spills that provide molds, mildew, yeasts, and bacteria such as e-coli.
- Stachybotrys chartarum, or house mold, grows on wet carpeting.
About Woodard Cleaning & Restoration
Woodard Cleaning & Restoration Services was founded in 1946 as St. Louis’ first in-home rug and carpet cleaning company, and is now the area’s largest commercial and residential cleaning company for carpet, rugs, furniture, and hard surfaces. With nearly 70 years of experience, Woodard is proud to serve as a preferred provider of water, fire, and smoke restoration services for residential, commercial, and institutional facilities. For more information, visit our website, or call 800.466.9308.